October 5, 2005
For our National Day holiday we toured the Old Summer Palace, Yuanming Yuan or the Garden of Perfect Brightness. Built by the Quing Qianlong emperor in the mid-18th century the gardens included many halls, and temples. In one corner of the gardens the emperor commissioned Jesuits at his court to design and build a set of European-style buildings. During the Second Opium War in 1860 the British and French troops burnt all the traditional Chinese halls and temples. Later the European-style buildings were pulled down, and the stones used by locals for building purposes.
Chinese tourists using the ruins for a portrait backdrop.
Notice the swastika in the pattern of the wall.